Monday, July 18, 2011

The things we do for love...

So I am trying to do a little blogging before school begins and I am distracted back into the world of pencils, tests, children, fun, and WORK.  I have to tell you that by choosing adoption (especially in our case), we had to choose a serious life style change in order to fund this journey (along with our awesome supporters through fundraising).  One way that we are working REALLY hard is by setting and sticking to a serious tight budget.  If you know anything about the homestudy process, then you are aware that you are opening your entire life to your agency.  ESPECIALLY your finances.  Now Chad and I have worked really hard to pay down a significant portion of our debt in the last few years but we still have a little left so we have a plan to pay it all off by the time our class comes around.  In order to do this, we have to budget every penny.  If you know Chad and I, you know that we love to shop (even if it is for a deal) and we are foodies - which means cooking lots of fun new things or going to new restaurants - both of which require a decent amount of investing.  SO I have worked really hard to become a couponer... Now prior to this, I definitely used coupons and shopped sales, but I am talking about hard core, buying 2 or 3 papers or coupons and spending some time plotting out sales and bogos - going to 2 or 5 stores to get what is on sale.  I had pretty good luck today so I thought I would share in my sales.... Here is a list of what I purchased...2 boxes of cheerios, 1 box of total, 1 box of fiber one cereal, 1 crest toothpaste, 1 6 count double rolled paper towels, 1 12 count toilet paper, 6 bags of steam fresh vegetables, 4 packets of tuna, 1 box of bakery cinnamin rolls, 1 bag frozen scallops, 1 bag frozen tilapia, 3 12 count can diet mt. dew (YUM), 2 2 liters of kroger brand soda, 2 bottles of pantene pro v shampoo, 1 bag of craisins, 2 bags of 15.5 lb Beneful Dog food... Total retail price 150.00 (If I would have paid regular prices) BUT with couponing and the deals on items at various stores, my total was $55.00.  Now I know that is no record for couponing wizards, but around the Chalos House, it was a fine day.  So here is a little picture some of my goodies...

We also use coupons for when we eat out and when we have date nights.  The city pass book is an awesome investment for these type of activities.  Also, we try to be aware of what fun things are going on around town - like FREE Friday night college nights at the Frist, or half off pizzas at Painturos on Tuesdays... We have been able to make it work without too much shopping and eating out withdrawal.  :)
What kind of things do you do around your house to save money?  I would love your input.
P.S. This adoption has been good for us in more ways than one.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I am trying to get in gear with coupons as well. I had planned to get it all figured out this summer, but didn't actually have time to do it. Personally I think that was awesome that you saved about 100! Budgets can be hard to stick to- go you for sticking with it!!

    ReplyDelete